There are a lot of Italian soup recipes out there, so I know what I'm up against. Just know, after you make my soup, you'll forget about all those other soups. You'll drop everything for this soup. You'll ride for this soup. You'll die for this soup. I'm a firm believer in getting your greens in any way you can, whether it's via smoothie or in this case, soup. This soup is loaded with nutritious kale and packs in some heat with spicy sausage. The squash gives it that fall flare and the orzo makes it just carbohydrated enough that you feel like you're eating a pasta dish without all that guilt. This recipe makes enough for 6 very hungry people or 8 kinda hungry people. Let me know how you like it! Let's eat!
- 1 pound spicy sausage (Andouille or Italian sausage)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash or 5 small assorted squash
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- thyme to taste
- oregano to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Dice the onion, slice the squash and then chop them in half. Shred (thinly slice) the kale.
- In a large pot (big enough to hold everything), sautee the onions in the butter and oil on medium.
- After about 10 minutes, add in the squash and the sausage.
- Once the sausage is browned, stir in the garlic, then add in the kale and stir it until it is cooked down.
- Add the can of tomatoes and the chicken broth. Season to taste with the above spicfes. A teaspoon each should be just right for most.
- Once everything is well combined and starting to look like something tasty, add in the orzo. Bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down low and cover. Stir often to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- The longer you simmer, the thicker the soup will get. This is entirely up to you. Serve with grated parmesan.
Time: about 45 minutes to an hour depending on simmer.