You're feeling fat. You're wallet is feeling skinny. Your stomach is empty. Your eyes are full. It's time to say #BYEBYETAKEOUT and start brown baggin' it. Let's take it back to the grade school days when you actually looked forward to your lunch. I'm challenging you to ditch the UberEats or the cafeteria just once a week and add in a new recipe instead. The Brown Baggin' series features easy-to-follow recipes that are tasty, healthy, and something to look forward to when your lunch hour rolls around. Try out this shrimp burrito bowl recipe and keep your eyes peeled for the next one. Let me know how you like it and use the hashtag #BYEBYETAKEOUT so the world can see your beautiful lunch creation. You'll be happy you took a little extra time to pack your lunch. Trust me.
- 6-8 large frozen or fresh shrimp
- 1/2 cup brown or white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh corn
- 1/2 slicing tomato
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/4 cup cotija or queso fresco
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime
ASSEMBLE THE BOWL:
- Thaw the frozen shrimp under cold water in a colander or with time.
- Bring 1/2 cup of rice and 1 cup of water to a boil. Season water with salt. Once water has boiled for about 5 minutes, bring it to to a simmer and cover. Stir periodically until rice is soft. Note: brown rice takes longer than white rice. Stir in cilantro and lime and cover on low to let the flavors mix. Mmmmm.
- Combine the shrimp with 1 tablespoon of vegetable or high-heat oil (your choice), a pinch of cayenne, 1/2 tbsp garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. Sautee on medium high-heat. Don't go for too long, or the shrimp will get too chewy. Never good.
- Pico de gallo: dice half of a red tomato, half of a small sweet onion, and combine in a bowl. Squeeze in the juice of 1/4 a lime. Stir in a teaspoon of cilantro, teaspoon of garlic, sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- To prep the corn, you will do the same as above with red onions instead and about a 1/2 cup of corn. Fresh is best, frozen won't give you the same crunch. Add paprika and cayenne to taste. And if you're feeling cheesy, add the cotija as well.
- In a large bowl or container, layer and place a cup of rice, the shrimp, corn, pico de gallo, and sprinkle with cheese and a dollop of Greek yogurt. Add avocado slices for more protein.
*You might have extra ingredients based on the directions above, so depending on your appetite, this might make two bowls*