If you don’t like shrimp this is your final warning. Leave. Get out. Go. Shoo. Gwan. It only recently dawned on me how much of a shrimp pusher I am, but like, shrimp is my life. No really. Right up there next to avocado. It’s one of the more malleable proteins, and you can find it in every culture: Italian shrimp scampi (did you know ‘scampi’ is just shrimp in Italian?), Jamaican pepper shrimp, American Southern shrimp and grits, Ecuadorian aji shrimp, the list goes on…
So while I was brainstorming content ideas, and quite frankly, “what the hell am I gonna eat today” ideas, I was like “shrimp BLT salad?” and it was so. BLT salads are nothing new, so I put my Southern spin on the BLT in a bowl with juicy (like seriously juicy) grilled shrimp, soft crumbled goat cheese, beautiful heirloom tomatoes, and duh, avocado. Does that make this a BLAT in a bowl? I don’t actually care. It’s just good. And did I mention a lot of the ingredients are in-season too? Tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado all flourish in the month of June, so you can find them almost anywhere, and at a good price. This dish is so easy to throw together and it comes out so beautifully it’ll have you thinking “I DID that”. And you did.
Notes: I used my cilantro-lime ranch dressing (which you can get the recipe for here), but you can use whatever dressing you like. It makes enough for two, or four if you’re serving it as a starter salad. If you’re making a single serving of this salad, I recommend cutting everything in half, since leafy salads never really work as leftovers.
- 3 skewers
- 12 large shrimp (26-30 count)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1.5 romaine lettuce hearts
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes (pick different colors)
- 5 oz (half package) grape tomatoes
- 2 oz soft goat cheese
- 1 medium Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons cilantro-lime ranch (optional)
- ½ green onions, sliced thinly
- Before you do anything, submerge your bamboo skewers in a container of water. Soak them for about 30 minutes before grilling so they don’t burn on the grill.
- In a small bowl, combine the shrimp, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper until the shrimp are evenly coated. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes or until you’re ready to grill.
- Heat the grill to about 400 degrees. Carefully place your strips of bacon diagonally across the grill, same with the shrimp. Close the grill.
- After 3 minutes, flip the shrimp and the bacon to the other side.
- After 3 minutes (6 minutes total), take the shrimp and bacon off the grill.
- Roughly chop the romaine hearts and place them on a platter or in a large bowl.
- Slice the grape tomatoes in half and distribute them evenly in the lettuce.
- Slice the heirloom tomatoes like you would an orange and do the same
- Cut the avocado into small, bite-sized chunks and incorporate into the salad
- Finally, throw the shrimp into the salad. Crumble the bacon, top with crumbled goat cheese, garnish with green onions, and drizzle with your desired dressing.
Soaking your skewers prevents them from burning on the grill.
Doesn't this make you want to grill everything?