Perfect. Summer. Appetizer.
Over the past few weeks I've been experimenting with stuffed peppers. What makes a good stuffed pepper? Is it stuffed to the brim? Is it juicy? Is it topped with melty cheese? There are a few concerns: 1) the pepper could burst 2) the pepper could become watery and gross 3) the filling just isn't all that good. The farmers market this weekend was selling an assortment of peppers for $2/pound, and I was immediately attracted to the poblanos. They're great for stuffing because they're narrow, long, and not too big. They have just a little bit of heat, but not quite as much as a jalapeno (jalopenos are 5 times hotter). So stuffed poblanos it is! Trust me when I say this stuffed pepper is remarkable: it's only got cheese, chorizo, corn, and green onions (and of course, spices). The avocado crema cools down the peppers, and you can dip or drizzle them in it. I made about 8 of them, but I recommend doubling the recipe if you've got 4+ people. Cheers to more Mexican-inspired food adventures. Let me know if you make them!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully slice off the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds with a knife (unless you like really spicy sh*t)
- Roast the corn in the husk directly on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes
- Thinly slice the green onion and slice the corn off the cob
- In a pan or skillet, break up the chorizo and brown it on medium-high
- Season with the paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder
- Add in the corn, green onions, and the cheese (last) then immediately take it off the heat!
- Carefully spoon the delicious, goopy mixture into each pepper.
- Heat your grill to 400 degrees and grill the peppers on direct heat for 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes, move them to a higher rack in the grill.
- Serve immediately and drizzle with the avocado crema, save some for dipping!
- In a blender or mixer, combine diced avocado, lime juice, and cream until it's pureed
- Put in a squirt bottle for drizzling or use a spoon!
- 8 poblano peppers (small)
- 2 chorizo links
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 cup green onions
- 1 1/2 cups Kraft shredded Mexican 4-cheese
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup crema mexicana or sour cream
- 2 small limes
Scroll all the way to the bottom for the dreaded nutrition facts!
*The nutrition facts do not include the avocado crema.*