As grilling season comes to a close, it just so happens that I'm learning how to grill. As a Jamerican, I'm constantly craving curry and cabbage, the one true pairing. In the process of embracing my roots, I've been cooking more Caribbean style dishes on my own instead of always going for Jamaican takeout. Jamaican curry chicken is almost always stewed, but grilled thighs were definitely a hit and I recommend giving them a try!
- 1/2 head of red cabbage
- 1 pound of chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoons Jamaican (yellow) curry powder
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons safflower, sunflower, or vegetable oil
Prepping for this is so easy, and can be done up to 30 minutes before you grill.
- Start by placing the chicken thighs in a large bowl.
- Add the curry powder, plenty of black pepper, the sea salt, ginger, and coconut milk. Make sure the thighs are well coated. There will be a lot of liquid, and that's fine.
- Set the chicken aside in the fridge.
- Slice about 3 or 4 medallions of the cabbage horizontally (like an onion). Be careful with them as not to let them fall apart.
- Drizzle the cabbage with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Get your grill nice and hot, medium-high.
- Grill the thighs and cabbage on each side for about 5 minutes, covered.
- Serve them together!