I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dropped peaches in the past couple of weeks. Last week I dropped my peaches every day. At the farmers market I dropped and bruised an entire bag of peaches I had just picked out myself. I even dropped two peaches behind the fridge? That being said, peaches are delicate and must be handled with care, so on my way home one Friday I picked up a crate of doughnut peaches. They’re similar in flavor to regular ole peaches, with a more intense, cotton candy-like sweetness that begs for some contrast. This is how I came up with a riff on a classic...grilled salted peaches and cream. 🍑
- 5-6 doughnut peaches
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 c sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In the freezer, chill your mixer’s beaters and a metal bowl (the one you will make the whipped cream in) for at least 30 minutes
- Slice the peaches in half, carefully remove the pits, and sprinkle with salt
- Grease a grill pan or skillet with a neutral oil and heat to medium high.
- Place the peaches face-down on the grill pan, grilling for 3 minutes, or more for more char.
- In a small sauce pan, toast the sesame seeds on medium high heat until they smell...toasty
- In the previously-frozen bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla on high for 2-3 minutes or until stiff peaks have formed.
- Turn the mixer down to low and add the cinnamon and ginger.
- In bowls, serve th grilled peaches on top the cream and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!